Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dress Shirt and Headphones

Growing up in 90s meant baggy clothes were good for just about everything. Getting older meant finding out that dressing up is only a game when you're a kid. Job interviews, work, looking like you're "acting your age"--all these things required being passably presentable in dress clothes. But what if your shirt size is 15 1/2, 36? Too much of an irregular size for most mainstream shops, not big enough for Big & Tall. (Seems there may be an underserved [if not undersized] 'Tall & Small' market out there...)

Essentially, it means you can't be too picky about color if you're trying to fill out your wardrobe. Basics were easy enough--solid colors like white, blue, or even pink thanks to the whole 'men can wear pink too' minifad of the early aughts. But if you want to find anything a little more stylish, you were mostly out of luck unless you randomly happened to be in the right store at the right time (and could afford their shirts). One weekend, I was meeting a friend at the Alderwood Mall--as you do--and I stopped by Nordstrom on a whim. I asked the attendant about the shirt size figuring I had no shot. She returned with a green and white striped long sleeve shirt in the coveted size. I have never made an impulse purchase so quickly. I love the shirt, even if it was a little expensive.

I'd spent most of my early life thinking that impulse purchases were bad decisions and to be avoided, but I've come to believe that sometimes--especially when availability can be a concern--you have to go with your instincts or risk missing out. So while I do try to avoid making impulse buys too often, sometimes you only get a few chances to strike while the iron's hot.

...And for the well thought out purchase, I'd have to say my headphones. Sure I had earbuds, but I wanted something that would be good for planes, trains, and generally shutting out the world (in a good way). Circa 2007, I did the research--scoured review sites, solicited feedback from friends, etc. From first-hand experience, I'd found that some "noise canceling" headphones seemed to do a nice job of insulating the listener, but were kinda loud for bystanders. That and they typically take batteries, which I didn't want to deal with for convenience environmental reasons. Ultimately, I got a pair of over-the-ear headphones from Bose. Still have 'em. Still love 'em. I think a potential catalyst for that decision was honestly becoming a little weary of the research. Sometimes, you end up reading so many reviews, the varying opinions start to negate each other.

All told, regardless of the particular purchasing timeline, I still like to try things out beforehand if possible. In both of the above cases, knowing there was a good return policy in place was a key factor, even if I never needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment