Monday, February 13, 2012

Media and News: We all can be a part of it.

It’s amazing how nowadays news has the ability to spread maybe even faster than a wildfire. All thanks to the old mighty internet! From a simple status update from your friend on a social media site to hard-hitting news almost about anything under the sun is literally right within our fingertips waiting for us to discover or even find us before we can find it. This past weekend the news broke an unexpected event in our music history, Whitney Houston has unfortunately passed away at a young age of 48 leaving behind a daughter who seems to be taking it the hardest. I keep hearing people on the radio talk about how we will always remember what we were doing at that moment when we first heard the news which by the way I was at home doing my homework diligently when I heard about it. But although there really isn’t too much for me to feel or react about this news, all I can think of is how this amazing talented woman who shaped the 80’s and having to practically grow up in that era and remembering my mom used to make me sing her songs and record it when I was young, I felt touched by the sad news. And now I can’t help but stop at whatever radio station that is playing her song to listen, relive, and remember what a beautiful talent that we unfortunately loss too soon.

That’s the thing about news and media, it doesn’t matter how we first heard it because there will always be an abundant resource for us. The media always have a good way in sensationalizing any news situation that they have on their desks and they get to us no matter what. I remember last Summer, the Caylee Anthony case was one news that I followed until the time of the sentencing for the final verdict and while I am not going to talk about what my real opinion on the matter is, I would say that probably one of the big factors on how people generate their feelings and emotions over any high-profile trial case will be on the visuals that are being shown on the TV and the Internet. I remember having the same scenario when the death of another pop legend Michael Jackson in 2009 which garnered millions of people all over the world mourning about his untimely death up until the high-profile trial case of his then physician, Dr. Conrad Murray. During the height of these news, pictures and videos are being plastered all over the internet and TV and people would continuously tune in.

So having said all of that, I strongly believe that with all the technology and information sharing ability that we now have available to us, we all can be a part of history and this is just the beginning. And that’s the great thing about our time now because we can all have a part in making our history to share to the generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment