Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Queen of Impulse

I would consider myself to be the queen of impulse buying.

I love shopping. My sister and I are each other's 'yes' women. Honestly it all started with Nordstrom. The fact that you can return ANYTHING makes impulse buying so easy and relatively guilt free. You can spend $1000 in one afternoon if you are in a bad mood, or you just like everything, and turn around and return it over the next couple of weeks, worn or not.

However, when it comes to electronics, it could take me weeks to decide. Usually it's less than that, but my dad is such a fan of Consumer Reports, that for any large purchase, he always sends me there first. It still really doesn't take me very long, partly because I love spending money and partly because I know what I like.

Just the other day my dad and I were at Lowe's, looking at faucet fixtures. In about 10 minutes I had found the one I liked--not the cheapest and not the most expensive--and I was ready to go. My dad (who has no say in the ultimate decision) spent a good 20 minutes continuing to look at all the fixtures they had on sale. I don't know if it's my rebellious nature that hates sifting through everything that I could buy, because it's what my parents always do, or just because I am confident in my choices.

Even the house I purchased recently was done in a pretty short amount of time, purely because I knew what I wanted and what I liked. Though I must say I was terrified of buyers remorse and more than one person reminded me that this wasn't just a pair of boots I could take back to Nordstrom. :)

I'm generally triggered to impulse buy at places I am comfortable in, generally Nords, Lulu Lemon and Target.  I am less likely to impulse buy (but it still happens on occasion) with larger items, such as a dishwasher or a camera. Return policies on things like that get fuzzier and for me to impulse buy, I must know their return policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment