Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Impulse buys vs. "thought out" purchases, and the triggers for each

Recalling some recent purchases, my impulse-buys have been mostly low-cost, non-essential items, whereas my most recent “thought out” purchase was a more substantial dollar investment.

I recently came down with a cold and had to go to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. On my way to the register, after the scrip was filled, I impulsively grabbed a bunch of items off the Walgreens shelves – Saltines, a 12pk of Ginger Ale, and a People magazine. If I gave it a bit more thought, I would have realized I already had Saltines at home, I was too tired and sick to actually focus and read the magazine, and the Ginger Ale, well, I don’t really regret that one. But, the point is: I thought these things would make me feel better. That was the trigger. I needed to buy them because I was sick and these things would help to make me well.

My most recent “thought out” purchase was buying a membership to a local CSA. I did a quick internet search for local CSA’s, found one that I thought sounded reputable, was well-priced, and had a convenient delivery schedule. Although, before signing up, I posted on Facebook about my search and the CSA I was leaning towards. My friends immediately offered their comments regarding this particular farm. The experiences they detailed were not glowingly positive, although they all made recommendations based off of personal experience or the experiences of one of their friends. Some of the recommendations made weren’t even on my original consideration list, so I ventured out to do additional research. After this process, I ultimately decided not to go with my original choice. Rather, I signed up with a farm/program that one of my former co-workers recommended. I’m very happy with my choice and I haven’t even gotten a delivery yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment