Monday, February 6, 2012

I wanted the internet in my pocket

I actually got a smart phone 6 months before I got a smart phone. I'd been toying with the idea for quite a long time. I felt out of place working for a website company and not having the internet in my pocket. One afternoon I drove up the hill to the T-Mobile store and told the clerk I wanted a smart phone. She showed me their newest, flashy phone (the Samsung Galaxy) and rattled off a bunch of stats that I didn't really listen to. I just wanted the phone. It was shiny.

Brought it home and started hating it almost immediately. Half of my texts failed, I couldn't tweet because there was "no network available" and the internet connection was slow and spotty at best. I took it back to the T-Mobile store before the end of the trial period and got my old "dumb" phone turned back on.

6 months later I was once again feeling the strain of not having a smart phone. I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty flexible work schedule and don't always have to spend 8 hours in the office, but I do have to be available and respond to emails in a timely manner. So unless I wanted to carry my laptop around with me and be reliant on wi-fi, it was time to get another smart phone. This time I did my research. I went on cnet.com, read reviews, compared models and features. Bought the HTC Sensation five months ago and have no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment