Monday, February 6, 2012

Four Hours and You Didn't Buy Anything

My mom insisted I begin shopping for a prom dress months prior to the big event. "You know it will take you that long to find something you like." She was right, I could go into a mall for hours and not buy a single item. One, I'm cheap; and two, I did not see the sense in buying something I did not love. That was then. When my love included a Chicago Bulls t-shirt and black sweatpants. 

This Christmas, like most of late, I catch the shopping bug. I don't now if it is the season of new things or the seemingly steep discounts--but every year the conclusion is that my wardrobe could use a serious refresh. What was once a calculated decision, is now empowered somewhat by a slightly higher income -a $5 allowance just doesn't get you very far-but mostly by my own set of wheels. Now I can return items at my leisure. A car and a few fashion-forward college friends has sent my shopping behavior down impulse way. 

In a recent economics discussion, a North Carolina professor claimed that on average each American could like with 20% less and not even notice. Not even notice. He asked us to think about the number of clothing items folded neatly in our drawers. Could we get rid of 20%? Could we have avoided those purchase? Impluse or logical?

No comments:

Post a Comment