Monday, February 13, 2012

Rookie

My fingers were crossed through the entire day supporting the Media team. I was a rookie to the company and new to assignment to support the media team and was oblivious to the process alone much less the nuances of day-of requirements and problem solving. My experience supporting this team at a major company event was certainly valuable on the job training. I had been briefed that the video needed to post to a media server and everyone had confidence in the proposed process. However on the day of the event, I discovered that our internal systems and unexpectedly slow Internet connection created obstacles for video upload. I had the news material, I knew the destinations but technology was getting in my way of getting these pieces to the news teams on time for their nightly news coverage. As the day ticked on and we began readjusting our plan to meet at least news on earlier time zones, my lesson learned was to always run an upload test of a certain file type at a very large size. Luckily I did hold the interesting, relevant and engaging content produced by our video team so the story was picked up in the morning news.

No comments:

Post a Comment