Monday, January 30, 2012

Dear Sophie



I know that this was shown in class, and most of us probably saw it even before that, however when I think of an ad that is compelling, it was the first and only one to come to my mind. I realize that they were intentionally shooting for the emotional angle but I still cried pretty heartily upon the first viewing and for a few viewings after that.

I think it’s compelling because it took a simple idea of a father and a daughter and the love that they share and because so many people can relate or at the very least understand it, the video appealed to such a broad range of consumers. If I take a step back, it’s actually pretty crazy to think that I would watch 90 seconds of a stranger’s home movies, and then cry afterward. Yet it’s what happened, and I think it’s a pretty incredible feat on Google’s part.

Moreover, I also think they did a great job at branding themselves as an emotional company that has to bring itself to life both in front of the computer and out in the world. I read an article that quoted Loraine Twohill (Google’s Vice President for Global Marketing) as saying, “It’s about emotion, which is bizarre for a tech company.” I do understand that it’s not a connection I would’ve made on my own but I think it’s worked out very well for them at least in my instance: just last weekend as I was searching Google for movie showtimes, I sighed to myself as I thought about this video and picked up my phone to give my dad a call just to say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment