Monday, January 30, 2012

"Living Vicariously" Advertising

Disclaimer:  I admit that I do put some effort into collecting scarves, but otherwise, I am both AARP member and the mother of an eight year old boy with ADHD.  Yes, I am tired.  And you are more likely to find me on Black Friday helping the anarchists at the Westlake Center conduct the "buy more stuff" anti campaign than buying the "stuff."

So when I tried to think of my favorite ad, nothing came to mind.

Instead, I thought about how the average kid sees around 300 advertising commercials a day.  I thought about how my son often sounds like a ramped up (and more violent) version of Mermaid Madison in "Splash" after her day in front of a TV.  I tried to think about where one could go nowadays where there isn't a TV or a radio or computer or people staring at their handhelds. 

Yes, I am "adverTIRED."

But last Friday night after work, I was sitting in the PCC in Edmonds eating pizza from the deli.  In front of me was the store's in house tabloid publication.  It described the specials, yes, but also featured opportunities to take part in cooking classes, try novel recipes, and take my child to a special exhibition at the Burke Museum about growing organic foods.

And in a single moment, I forgot that I lived in suburban Shoreline and that the cloud cover for the last week or so had reached down to my ankles.  

Did I sign up for the cooking classes or see the exhibit?  No.  Instead, it "felt" like I had done it ... experienced it.  Suddently the pizza tasted better ... somehow more wholesome. 

It's that kind of thing that keeps me coming back to the PCC ... that and the Tickled Pink scarves they sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment