Sunday, January 29, 2012

Where am I?

I’ve never thought I'm behind of social media trend as a person spending much time in front of a computer like others and being familiar with social media like Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter. But joining Blogger, LinkedIn for Marketing Management class made me uncomfortable. I realized that I’m not really following social media trend which has much strength and effectiveness. There are so many social medias I’ve never joined and never heard of. Concerning a gap between me and others who use it properly made me confused. Where am I in this social media world? There’s no navigator tells me where I’m and where my destination is. I need to figure out where I am(How I’m using it) and then I can find where I can go further(How I’ll use it).

 “Social networking” is the first thing I can’t live without. After I moved to Seattle, I log in every day drinking coffee to do instant messaging with my co-workers and friends. I ask them how they are doing and how their projects are going which I am so curious about since I don’t work now. Sometimes I feel lonely if there’s no one logged in instant massage list. (It happens because of time difference.) During this time gap, I’m surfing Facebook and Cyworld to see their lives and leave a message to keep our relationship. It’s a great way to keep in touch easily with alumnus in New York and old friends in Seoul.

The second thing I use frequently is on-line community, sharing lots of useful information as a new residence in the USA. www.missyusa.com is a Korean women community living in the USA. They have all the information; how to settle down to a new society and enjoy different culture. We can also share our concerns from career to family as a woman. www.missycoupons.com is specialized for shopping information sharing all the sale news and coupons faster than anyone. These communities are useful and powerful because people are willing to share almost everything they know and almost every Korean woman (age 25-55) who lives in the USA are joining in.

While I’m using social media pretty much personally, I’ve been ignoring to use it professionally. Even though I know the importance of social media in career, I just keep putting off until tomorrow what I can do today. Many professional interior designers built their own space in online, and developed their career. They became renowned designer in social media world and some of them published their own book. How envy!!!  Blogs sharing projects and ideas were the most powerful application made them famous. It seemed like they got as much as they shared. LinkedIn I just joined is one to help me connect with people in design world and find a job. How smart!! I made a “Blogger, LinkedIn to do list”, today not tomorrow, to give me opportunities of becoming a better designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment