Saturday, January 14, 2012

GOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE

Yes, I am one of those. I have typed my name into Google's search bar curious to discover what the  spiders would weave onto the results pages. I think the first time, yes the first time,  I explored this electronic mirror there was mention of a relative in the the seventh or eighth "O" on the GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE results display. The next time I searched, sparked by college roommate discussions and likely finals procrastination, I found my Theology 101 paper. Thrilling. Today, when I searched my name, I immediately could view my social media accounts, a few of my family member's social media accounts, a couple of newspaper stories and links connecting me to those non-relatives who share my last name. A Google search for my name is a search into my social, defined in cyber space as social media, life.

Is social media a fad? I am also one of those, I have not yet decided. My participation has varied throughout the years. And just when I contemplated giving up my account, I decided to take a trip to Europe and discovered a new way to connect with family. The creation of connection continues to intrigue me. No matter where I am and no matter what I am doing, my family and friends can share comments, photos and videos which creates a sense of togetherness--something I truly cherish.

My primary participation in social media is like those who compose a personal letter, dictate a telegraph or engage in a telephone conversation--it is a medium to connect with family and friends. With that said, I hope someday that I do not look back and wish my name was Jane Smith. Jane Smith's 14,000,000 Google search results significantly surpasses the 12,000 associated with my name. Though I wonder if this young lady would consider Jane: GO PACK!


No comments:

Post a Comment