Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Reimagining a Classic

I grew up a bricklayer. Not with stretchers, headers and mortars, mind you, but I definitely worked with bricks. I would make houses, people, cars, planes and all sorts of objects and items from bricks of a variety of sizes and colors.

If you couldn't tell, I'm talking about LEGO bricks.

The catalog of LEGO products is extensive and they've benefited from licenses with companies such as Lucasfilm, enabling the company to create engaging, life-like scenes. Even I recently completed a LEGO set, when I built my very own Space Needle replica.

However, Most of the ads I've seen for LEGO over the years have been formulaic: kids building and then playing with a variety of LEGO creations.I'm sure most of us have seen these if we've watched even 10 minutes of children's programming. I was pleased, then, when I saw a print campaign that drives at getting older kids (including me) to remember the fun that LEGO provides.

The "Red Brick" ad for LEGO is just one in a series of four ads.

Ultimately, a company like LEGO is all about creativity. LEGO can absolutely provide fun as they've shown in ads for years, but what sets them apart is the ability to turn a series of LEGO blocks into, well, anything. While I'd feel quite silly playing with my GI Joe or POGS, LEGO has reminded me that it makes more than toys - it makes whatever I want it to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment