Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Social Networking -----> Social Media

As a college student in the mid-2000's, I grew up with, first, MySpace, and then Facebook. These formats began as a way to connect with friends, allowing users to display photos, comment on posts and continue (or begin) friendships in a digital manner. With friends going to various schools across the US, these social networking sites were revolutionary for me in their ability to connect people.

When Twitter launched in 2006 and hit mainstream consciousness in 2007, I could not have been more skeptical. I knew Facebook as an excellent way to keep in touch with people, but primarily through lengthy messages, photos, games and the occasional wall post. 140 characters didn't seem like nearly enough space to say anything meaningful. 

As it turns out, those 140 characters are where my knowledge of social networking grew to expand to include social media. I had incorrectly assumed that Twitter would be just another way to stay in touch with people I knew, allowing me to find out my friends' lunch plans in 140 characters or less; it serves that function, but it has become my main source for up-to-date "important" news and information. While much of Facebook's connectivity has changed in terms of style since its inception, its substance - its ability to connect people - has not. Twitter, on the other hand, allows me to get relevant information quickly. 


Twitter is my primary source of breaking news in 2012. The social media site allows users to post and view information about current events in real time. 
Whereas I would have had to find a TV or go directly to a news source before, I can follow feeds that are relevant to me and have that information delivered to my computer or mobile device. Twitter has changed social networking and social media for companies and news sources; social media is no longer just an option, but a way of life for companies that depend on delivering accurate information quickly.

I tweet a lot about Seattle-area sports. And sometimes, other things too. For that "important" information, follow me @WauDude.

No comments:

Post a Comment