Monday, January 30, 2012

Santa has Siri!


Since I was young, I’ve always been a big appreciator of advertisements but most particularly if they are on TV or print. I’m a visual person and to actually come from a culture wherein media plays a big part in our everyday lives, I remember having to watch all ads that are being shown on TV since we didn’t have the ability to skip the ones that we don’t like or any of them at all. It didn’t really bother me that we have to watch them all which is the opposite of what we can do now wherein we can choose to either skip the ones that we don’t like or all of them. With an advertising background like myself, I found it quite appalling at first that consumers now have the ability to skip ads when they couldn’t before. Although, I would say that I am not completely opposed to it since there could be some ‘not-so-good’ ads out there that sometimes you just can’t stand to watch.

With the advent of internet and as I got older, my own perception about whether or not a simple ad is either powerful, effective or neither also changed. I was used to ads wherein oftentimes celebrities are being featured holding a product or two and while that is effective, I thought that there is something else that they can do other than just endorsing the brand. The ad that I want to talk about is from a company that has been around for a while and still continuing to create and invent things that we never really thought we want or need until they did. Apple Inc. has been well-known for their computers but to me personally, I really didn’t pay attention to them until they came up with the iPhone back in 2007. In my opinion, Apple has done an amazing job in marketing themselves and maintaining a certain level of pride and prestige tied to their names that is being passed on to their customers which has allowed them to have a huge following.

I particularly like the ads that they make with any of their products be it for a computer or an app, but for the purpose of this writing the iPhone. I like that their ads gives out simplicity but yet powerful and effective in having their message to come across to the consumers without the frills. It’s more than just beautiful faces and celebrities but rather it is a collection of real people about what’s really going on around them living their everyday lives which I believe is powerful in itself. And that’s what makes a compelling ad!


No comments:

Post a Comment