Monday, January 16, 2012

It's Only Just the Beginning


My experience with social media is middle of the road. I have a Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin accounts and I have accounts on WordPress and Blogger, but haven’t yet created a blog.

So I think Facebook is great, but it can be quite the time suck if you let it get away from you. On the personal side I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and it’s a great way to share your life’s adventures with friends and family. On the professional side I have several Facebook pages, http://www.facebook.com/msrgear and www.facebook.com/platypushydration that fall under my realm of responsibility. I work with both an internal P.R. manager and an external agency to try and create interesting content that our customers and brand fans find engaging. The master plan is to create brand blogs that we use to publish information about our products, tips, tricks, athletes, adventures and just about anything that people would find interesting. Once the blog is up and running we can use the social tools to cross promote our posts. So for now I feel our goal is to continue to grow our fan base so that as we begin to post to our blog we’ll have an audience. Last year we used Facebook to recruit a team of mountain bike racers to compete in a legendary 100 - mile mountain bike race that we sponsor in Leadville Colorado. We plan to do the same thing this year. 

As for Twitter I read it often, but don’t ever really use it to say anything. I find a great tool to skim what’s happening in the world with people and organizations I’m interested in.  Most people are using twitter to post links so I like the fact that if I care to learn more about what that person/organization has to say I can choose to follow or not. 

Linkedin seems like a great business and networking tool and almost makes paper business cards obsolete. I use Linkedin the least of the 3 social media accounts, but I think it will prove to be valuable keeping in touch with people that I engage with in business.
That's my experience in a nutshell, but I think it's just the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment