Monday, January 30, 2012

Visually memorable

When a single viewing of a television commercial stays with me for more than twenty years, it must be effective advertising.

Surprise ending commercial | Break.com

Watch the commercial before reading further and then let me know if you agree.

I saw this commercial only a single time in my Paris hotel room in the late 80's or early 90's --- twenty-year-old memories tend to be imprecisely dated. When I read this blogging assignment I knew I wanted to showcase it, but I had only a small hope that a pre-Internet commercial from France would find its way to posterity. I recalled the entire sequence: the birds rising from the field, the hunter slogging his trophy up the hill to his little hatchback which was clearly the focus of the commercial. Or not.

Visual, a French optical chain, continues in the same vein even today. Here is another clip from a 2006 commercial with the same "theme."


And here is there 2012 campaign. You don't need to read French to "get it."



The commercials always run with no text until the after the visual punch line. The formula continues to be effective after more than twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment