Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Have Thunder Thighs

"My doctor called me a fat runner. He was surprised that my thighs were so muscular given my routine training for the next marathon. I was so excited to see the advertisement that I cut it out and taped it to my refrigerator."  As my friend recollects on the Nike advertisement I am reminded of the first time I saw the ad campaign a few years early. The artwork and message on that glossy magazine page captivated my attention once again.

 Nike's "My Butt" advertisement campaign was run in a three part series capturing the attention of young female athletes in multiple sports. Nike seemed to leverage the young female trend of cutting magazine clips (Pintrest is the next generation of this trend) to pin up as inspirational artwork. The ad was beautifully designed with an elegant font type and reminded displayed on my walls throughout high school and college.

 The artwork only complemented the inspirational messaging to create an extremely compelling advertisement. The ad captured the attention of female athletes everywhere whose training to be fit gave them a bodily shape different that the size two model, and honored her dedication to health and fitness. The ads began with a provocative introduction proclaiming "my butt is large" or "I have thunder thighs" and continued to honor the hard work and dedication of a young female athlete, myself included. 

http://www.adwomen.org/2011/06/controversial-nikes-campaign-for-women/nike-women-i-have-thunder-thighs/

No comments:

Post a Comment